Friday 21 January 2011

1st October 1881.

Today started promising but has turned disturbing. I spent the majority of the day looking in on Dr Robert's patients for him as he is still unable to return to his practise. I'll admit to enjoying having a chance to practise medicine and it beats being stuck at home while Holmes is having one of his quiet patches. Though he did pick up a little at breakfast when he received a note from Lestrade about the Murder of Mrs Charlotte Simpson. He left the house before me and returned at some point during the day. I've not found out what Lestrade wanted yet as I had only just removed my coat which is sodden from the rain we've had all day when Mrs Hudson called for me to 'come quick'. Having spoken with her since it seems my new patient looked 'Wet through and odd' and was 'not hysterical' when Mrs Hudson first opened the door. It seems that the woman asked if she was Mrs Hudson, and on hearing the response 'went white as a sheet'. The woman also asked if this was the residence of Myself and Holmes. Mrs Hudson said she noticed the woman had no colour and looked like she would collapse at any moment. She confirmed that it was our home and called up to me. She said the woman 'stumbled as she turned to look at the street' and 'went down quite suddenly'. At this point I must have been almost at the top of the stairs to find out what Mrs Watson wanted and heard her shriek and dashed down. The woman had collapsed cutting her head quite severely on the right side and was disorientated. I called for Holmes and she turned towards the stairs, the light coming from inside probably. I don't think she heard me talking to her, nor even realised she was being held. She lost consciousness moments afterwards. That would have been at about seven thirty. She has yet to regain consciousness, Holmes has insisted I treat her rather than send her to a hospital as he feels she is in the greatest mortal danger. She certainly was earlier. Her temperature rose severely after the blow to her head, leading me to arranging a cold water bath. She is now resting on the sofa having been changed by Mrs Hudson, who is acting as a nurse, into a spare gown the woman's own clothes covered in blood and wet from the rain and immersion in the cool water. She had a seizure while in the bath, probably due to the temperature, though at the time I was worried that it was due to disease or brain damage. I seriously expected us to have to call for Lestrade to inform him of a unknown death. Her temperature has lowered and if anything is slightly too low now, but she is wrapped up well and a fire has been lit to ensure she does not deteriorate. It is this quick drop in temperature which makes me think her fever was something to do with the head injury and not some infection. The cut has been stitched and dressed and will hopefully heal without too much scarring though I feel she will have a substantial black eye. Holmes has agreed to watch over during the night as I am exhausted after the initial treatment. He is under strict instructions to wake me if she comes round, and if there is any sign of her deterioration. I prey that she pulls through. She is such an enigma, and we don't even know her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment